Friday, July 9, 2010

glimpse into the future...

it's been like having three teenagers in the house, with the attitudes I've been getting the last few days.

a few days ago, we were driving home from the grocery store and all three were berating me because I wasn't going to McDonald's.  Riley starts with the "if you won't ___ then I will ___" and Hailey agrees "if you don't take us to McDonalds, we're all going for a walk!" (she means running away)  This is the type of thing that makes me want to retort "I don't negotiate with terrorists!"

yesterday, while I'm making dinner, I hear Hailey loudly and angrily explain "I'M NOT YELLING!"

earlier today, we are leaving Target/the mall, where all three were complaining about me not buying them hot dogs for snack (it was 5pm and I'd bought frozen pizza).  suddenly Hailey is crying loudly.  I asked her (exasperated) why she was upset now, and she says sobbing "because I want it to be my birthday tomorrow!"  Riley immediately responds in a disgusted voice "now that's just stupid!"

just now, Riley is complaining (bitterly) because we're having cherries for desert and not ice cream.  Elliot warns him "you say that one more time, I'm going to count. and then you're going to get a time out!"

mostly this is ridiculous enough to make me laugh even in the middle of them doing it.  I try not to laugh too loud so as not to encourage the behavior one way or another, but good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment