Sunday, January 2, 2011

ROADTRIP DAY 7: Texas and more Texas

DAY 7: Cisco, TX to Lubbock, TX

1/2 Sunday

The “Wild Country RV Park” was something else – bunch of hookups on a hilltop in the middle of nowhere with no facilities. One of the trailers had a sign that said “office” and a slot where you could pay your $20. We never saw another person, but it was pretty in an odd way – we’re guessing that the land used to be an orchard of some kind. They had a “playground”: a fort looking raised building that the children never tried to climb, two rusty wheelbarrows and an old piece of exercise equipment. Again, the kids were just thrilled to be bundled up in their winter coats, hats, gloves, and scarves and pushed the wheelbarrows around like it was the most interesting thing in the world :).

We had a relatively short day of driving planned – we decided to detour slightly to Lubbock TX where Opa knew someone and where there was a KAO campground with nice amenities where we thought we could stay for an extra day. In the morning we hit another Wal-Mart then drove North-West. The campground was indeed quite nice, and had a playground and indoor pool. Unfortunately I had sent our bathingsuits back home with Jeff, sure that we weren’t going to have an opportunity to swim once we stopped being in hotels. Opa made some repairs to the RV and dolly which involved removing the Prius. Afte r washing … miles of sand off of it, we took it to the Lubbock Wal-Mart where I shopped for bathingsuits. In freezing cold Texas. In January. On the clearance racks I actually found swimtrunks for Elliot and basketball shorts for Riley, and a swim bottom for me. I picked up a cheap skort and tank tops for Hailey and (what I thought was) a tank top for me. Turns out the tank top was a thong-back leotard and the swim bottom was a “scoop bottom” and both were the wrong size, so I’m sure I was quite a sight. But the kids had a blast swimming (and again in the morning) even though I kept leaving their goggles in the RV.

the kids all snuggly enjoying a movie before bedtime.they slept so well, in "bed" and asleep by 7 most nights while we were still driving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment