Saturday, March 20, 2010

Riley's 6th birthday party - cupcake lessons

to match Riley's Mario birthday party theme, mommy had the fun idea of making cupcakes shaped like the mushrooms in Super Mario (red=makes you bigger, green=1up, small blue=makes you small)

unfortunately, the cake mix tastes good, but makes very strangely shaped cupcakes in the normal size.  the mini cupcakes came out with a nice even dome:

I was able to pick a few normal size cupcakes that had a dome and hadn't overflowed, now contemplating whether to bake another batch or buy nice shaped cupcakes or muffins from the store and then ice them to match.  The few I was able to do came out cute:
The other thing I didn't think through was the frosting. I forgot to pick up a can of frosting when I bought the cake mix, so I "whipped up" some buttercream frosting which was surprisingly easy (and of course yummy).  Except buttercream frosting melts and sags when it's nice weather, and probably shouldn't be left on the counter until tomorrow's party.  doubt I have that much room in my fridge...

the dots were supposed to be white candy melts btw, you can see on the green one that the scale is wrong, so I guess I'll just make dabs of white frosting.

-Deirdre

1 comment:

  1. Soooooooooooo cute! I'm in college, and I totally want to make these for a party! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete